Nihonbashi Bridge


Nihonbashi Bridge appears to have been originally built in 1603. During the following year the bridge was designated as the focal point of the nation's highways. Riverside quarters for merchants, rice brokers, and timber dealers, as well as the fish market, were established in the surrounding area. A public office responsible for government land transport was also built near the bridge. Nihonbashi Bridge was approximately fifty-one meters(167ft) in length and some eight meters(26ft) in width. This model reproduces the northern half of the bridge, according mainly to records of reconstruction from 1806 and 1829. Bridge piles, beams, cross beams, and newel posts are made of zelkova; handrails and floor boards are fashioned from Japanese cypress. The two bronze ornamental handrail tops called "Giboshi" are modeled on existing ones, which contain an inscription dates 1658.